XP GoldMaxx Power: Environment Settings Guide.

Only for the discussion of the XP Gold MAXX Power Metal Detector.
sweepstick47

Re: XP GoldMaxx Power: Environment Settings Guide.

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:57 pm

Helmetfire wrote:Very useful thanks.

One question though.

You say in 'Option 1' to "ignore the low buzz, it's iron", but I have found that Gold also gives a very low tone/buzz... Am I misunderstanding something?
Hi Helmetfire I'm sure that Annubis has the definitive answer for you but my take on the situation is:
It's possible you have the 'Iron Threshold' set a little too high for the detector to give a mid-tone response to gold. This I understand is because the conductivity of gold is low down on the conductivity scale pretty near iron.
Having sais that, you would almost certainly have had a repeatable two-way signal and even if that is accompanied by a 'buzz' it must be dug for the reasons outlined above. If this practice is adopted, that buzzing signal, that is repeatable may well produce dividends. Low grade bronzes are sometimes responsible for such a reading too. Cheers and all the best. The Goldmax is a winner in my opinion. ::g ::g

A disservice is no service at all.

Helmetfire

Post by Helmetfire » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:11 pm

Hello sweepstick47.

Cheers for that.

I have the settings as per 'Option 1' and an 18ct yellow gold ring gave a vey low buzz. I suppose there is the possibility that the 'buzz' was the result of something else in the immediate vicinity of the ring and therefore masked the ring... Who knows.

All I know is that I will dig every signal until I feel confident in my own ability to 'discriminate' toot from good, which might take a while as I have lost a lot of the top end range in my hearing... Bloody jets :D
If in doubt, BANG OUT.

jamie18thmo

Post by jamie18thmo » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:37 pm

Many thanks to Anubis and all the other contributors to this thread. It's perfect, as the splendid Mr. Liam Nolan has just been kind enough to lend me your old GMP to get to grips with. I can't wait to get out with it! ::g
Metal detecting is like a box of chocolates.

MUD

Post by MUD » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:11 pm

Anubis wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:10 am
On getting my GoldMaxx Power I realised I was way out of my depth, so I have searched the web and asked for advice where I could.

You will find below settings for most situations, these are tried and tested, the settings come from forum members, websites and some of my own, they are here to help people get started and to lessen the learning curve.

That said please experiment and if you find somthing that works better or you discover a good tweak let me know and I'll add it to the guide.

AWESOME post......thanks for taking the time to help poor mortals like us understand the controls in plain english.
Im brand new to metal detecting but had a very cheap Chinese ebay special that helped me get hooked into finding lots of used nails and bottle tops lol :D
Anyway ive just picked up this XP Gold Max secondhand and already found 10p ::g probaly more luck than anything else.

Can you tell me what the FREQ Shift is used for ??

Thanks from a newbie ::g ::g

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:49 pm

If you are using wireless headphones and you are getting interference, you can change the frequency that the machine uses to communicate with the headphones.
Minelab E-Trac. XP Goldmaxx power v4. Garret carrot. Evolution spade.

MUD

Post by MUD » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:53 pm

Wigeon wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:49 pm
If you are using wireless headphones and you are getting interference, you can change the frequency that the machine uses to communicate with the headphones.
Thanks....makes sense now ::g

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:50 pm

Being a long term owner of a GMP I'll say one thing, take a bucket and spade to the beach instead, it'll be more fun!

stuartj

Post by stuartj » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:17 am

Thank you so much for this thread! Really looking forward to getting to grips with mine.
XP Goldmaxx power V4
C scope CS5MX
C scope CS1MX
GP pinpointer
NCMD member

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:20 am

stuartj wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:17 am
Thank you so much for this thread! Really looking forward to getting to grips with mine.
Hi stuart!

I have the GMP.....Had it many years now. Once you learn the language its very enjoyable to use and there is no distracting screen. So quite a Zen detector really. :))

My advice....stick to the stock coil. The big coils don't really play to the GMP's strength. It can be useful at a later date to get a small coil because then you can really poke around between iron and the machines great recovery speed comes to the fore.
Don't be tempted to push Sensitivity up much beyond 12 oclock. It doesn't buy more depth and you end up with a lot of iron noise. I saw a bloke on Youtube ....well known detectorist...trying to get to grips with the GMP and his sensitivity was way up near the red zone. No wonder he was having trouble!
My basic settings are generally the same...give or take a little tweak here or there....Sensitivity the aforementioned 12 noon. Iron threshold 12 noon, Ground 12 noon, Iron volume 10 or 11 oclock. Silencer of 1.
If Ground is calm I can lower the reject down to 11 and that buys a bit of depth. If things are busy iron-wise I pull back the Sensitivity to about 11 or even 10. On hotspots I pull the Iron Threshold down to about 9 and dig anything reasonable.
I dig anything that is a steady two-way in mid or high tones. I also dig if its a steady signal with a bit of buzz....got several rings and lots of buckles on those signals. I got an electrum stater on a tone that yodelled a bit between mid and high but was still repeatable.
Look for small signals and don't swish too much...I go very slow sometimes....then when I get a nibble I waggle the coil over it a bit faster to firm up the signal.
If you get a loud signal lift the coil and if it is still loud then its big iron.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Bors

Post by Bors » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:06 pm

I must thank Anubis for compiling the essay on the Goldmaxx power ,and I`m sure it will be very helpful to detectorists new to using the Goldmaxx Power . I`ve owned a few on different occasions in the past ,going from the Goldmaxx to the Goldmaxx Power .

In the beginning I Absolutely HATED it when I first had the newly out XP Goldmaxx. No matter how much I tried I didn`t get it ,how you discriminated with it. And I just wasn`t listening enough to what it was telling me, so after about 8 months I threw the towel in on it.
Don`t forget the Goldmaxx was then VERY NEW on the metal detecting scene and No one knew how to use it properly. XP just threw it into the Detecting Market and basically said, here`s a little hand book on it now get on with it.
About a Year later I bumped into an old friend from down South and he`d still got his Goldmaxx.
I said " you still got it then. "
" Yes " he replied ," its a brilliant machine ,lots have it down my way now ." My ears pricked up.!
" What ! I said I couldn`t gel with it at all ". And he proceeded to show me how to use it and recognise the Sound Iron made ,and how to use the Iron volume control. I then re bought one and went on to love it and when the Goldmaxx Power came out I replaced it with one of those.
One thing I would say I found.
The Goldmaxx power IS NOT a beach detector in my opinion. OK, you can get it to be used on the dry sand ,but its not for wet beach hunting. Its too sensitive even on low sens.
I think If your going to do beaches a lot ,buy a Dedicated Beach detector that can handle wet sand, otherwise you won`t be getting much depth, as you need on beaches a lot of the time.

stuartj

Post by stuartj » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:28 am

Thanks for the replies and advice, its very much appreciated!
XP Goldmaxx power V4
C scope CS5MX
C scope CS1MX
GP pinpointer
NCMD member

Return to “XP Gold MAXX Power Forum”