Garrett pro pointer reset ?

Only topics related to the Garrett Propointer and the New AT Pro-pointer here.
digcodd

Garrett pro pointer reset ?

Post by digcodd » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:59 pm

Recently my pro pointer stopped working.
When turned it on the LED light worked but nothing else.
It had not got wet and had not been used for digging holes!
Changed the battery and what ever I did I could not get it to work.
I took it to the retailer that I purchased it from and they looked at it for me as it was only just under a year old and thus still under warrantly. They said that they reset it and that it was now working fine.
I was so pleased to get my pro pointer back and working with out involving repair costs I forgot to ask exactly what a reset was in case this happened in the future.
So can anybody tell me exactly how you reset a Garrett pro pointer please?

roamingrob

Re: Garrett pro pointer reset ?

Post by roamingrob » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:10 pm

I took my old one apart yesterday there is a small black switch on the circuit board I understand that the re-set button. But there is a two year warranty on the pointer so I would not open it as you may void this (mine is two yeas old and faulting) Rob
XP Deus, 11" Coil & SW5 headphones
Garrett Ace 250
XP MI6 pin pointer
Hybrid Spade
" SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND"
FB page https://www.facebook.com/Roamingrob-Hig ... 069738277/

Adz100

Post by Adz100 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:21 pm

There is a fare amount of videos on youtube that's worth a look. There is also one about falsing and what might cause it.

digcodd

Post by digcodd » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:01 pm

Adz100 wrote:There is a fare amount of videos on youtube that's worth a look. There is also one about falsing and what might cause it.
Yes there are some videos around on you tube etc about how to use the propointer etc - but I have not seen one on how to reset it.

digcodd

Post by digcodd » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:05 pm

roamingrob wrote:I took my old one apart yesterday there is a small black switch on the circuit board I understand that the re-set button. But there is a two year warranty on the pointer so I would not open it as you may void this (mine is two yeas old and faulting) Rob
Thanks for the info. So looks like the only way to reset the pro pointer is to dismantle it which obviously invalidates the warranty if it is under two years old.

I just wonders if there was a simple way like there is with some electronic machines - eg maybe hold the power button in for 20 secs od something.

I do remember seeing some images of the circuit board somewhere recently and there being some confusion as to whether the black button did a reset.

Anyway my pro pointer seems to be working fine now whatever the shop did to it - so long may it continue.

bleach

Post by bleach » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:00 pm

Hi, I repaired pro-pointers on e-bay until I was taken seriously ill and got banned :( .
The little black switch recalibrates the coil if you have had to re-solder the coil wires to the board.
Basicly you hold it in and press power until it beeps for around 3-4 seconds then let go and it should be re-calibrated.
Cheers bleach1972
Last edited by bleach on Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SniperR27

Post by SniperR27 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:04 pm

I've got ask this.
Were you banned by ebay from doing it OR banned from work by your doctor??
Sorry [:) [:)
Deus 3.2 & Chef CP6 Headphones for Deus.
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk11 & Chef CP2 Light Blue Headphones.
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Molle Tactical Vest,
Black Ada S/S Dagger & Bigfoot,

A bucket full of persistence

bleach

Post by bleach » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:08 pm

SniperR27 wrote:I've got ask this.
I was taken into hospital, and I live on my own so the pointers and switches I had orders for where stuck in my house waiting to be posted to the clients, and they complained etc which is understandable.

SniperR27

Post by SniperR27 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:11 pm

bleach wrote:
SniperR27 wrote:I've got ask this.
I was taken into hospital, and I live on my own so the pointers and switches I had orders for where stuck in my house waiting to be posted to the clients, and they complained etc which is understandable.
Good old Fleabay, I hope you have now recovered mate [:)
Deus 3.2 & Chef CP6 Headphones for Deus.
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk11 & Chef CP2 Light Blue Headphones.
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Molle Tactical Vest,
Black Ada S/S Dagger & Bigfoot,

A bucket full of persistence

bleach

Post by bleach » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:32 pm

Fine now, thanks. ::g

roamingrob

Post by roamingrob » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:25 am

bleach wrote:Hi, I repaired pro-pointers on e-bay until I was taken seriously ill and got banned :( .
The little black switch recalibrates the coil if you have had to re-solder the coil wires to the board.
Basicly you hold it in and press power until it beeps for around 3-4 seconds then let go and it should be re-calibrated.
Cheers bleach1972
Thank you for that info as my old one need the wires soldering back on.. Rob
XP Deus, 11" Coil & SW5 headphones
Garrett Ace 250
XP MI6 pin pointer
Hybrid Spade
" SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND"
FB page https://www.facebook.com/Roamingrob-Hig ... 069738277/

onthebeach

Post by onthebeach » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:43 am

Hi one question if anyone can help, how do you take a pro pointer apart?
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Sovereign GT
Teknetics T2
Garrett pro pointer.
Predator excelsior headphones.

neverneverman

Post by neverneverman » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:06 am

http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/vi ... it=pointer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

::g :D
Evolution Solutions Detecting Products...

Christoph1945

Post by Christoph1945 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:41 pm

onthebeach wrote:Hi one question if anyone can help, how do you take a pro pointer apart?
Aaaaah; if only taking the ProPoiter apart was all one had to do. The dismantling of the ProPointer was the easy part of the operation! I removed the end cap, withdrew the battery, removed the small Philips head screw that holds the internal unit in place, and then withdrew the innards using a pair of long nosed pliers.

Upon inspecting the now withdrawn pcb, I pressed the reset button on the reverse side and then set about replacing it within the ProPointer. And guess what; "I broke the on/off switch" .

The ProPointer had become so problematic that I had considered buying a replacement and was trying the reset operation as a last resort.

Now left with a totally duff ProPointer I commenced looking round for a replacement, or possible repair. I stumbled upon Tony Perez of the Isle of White, who repairs metal detectors and Garrett Propointers. At the cost of £25.00, Tony replaced the on/off switch, double checked the operation of the pcb, and returned the little critter to me post paid. I now have a fully functioning Garrett ProPointer, minus the original fault that set me on this course of action.

I am still fully convinced that there is (perhaps) an on going problem with Garrett Propointers that we need to investigate and discover why so many of us are losing faith in a piece of equipment that we were so pleased with when we first made our purchases. Is it the fault of the Garrett design, are we miss treating our ProPointers, or are we just unlucky? :-SS

Oldest Swinger

Post by Oldest Swinger » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:36 pm

I had mine since they came out and never had a problem. However I did wrap the speaker holes with tape then pushed a cocktail stick through it a cpl of times to waterproof it even more. I also only use it for less than 20% of my finds as I find using the coil quicker for all but the most stubborn to find

Keep low keep slow

Paul
DEUS

I may be slow but can still get to my knees for the glint of gold

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:46 pm

Hello all, when I see topics like this it does worry me that many of these pro-pointers are still within warranty so best to ship it back for repair ::g Please remember your pro-pointer has 2 years warranty and if you tamper with it yourself you are at risk of losing that warranty, the guys that repair the pro-pointers can clearly see if its been tampered with.
Cheers
mrix

Christoph1945

Post by Christoph1945 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:39 pm

mrix wrote:Hello all, when I see topics like this it does worry me that many of these pro-pointers are still within warranty so best to ship it back for repair ::g Please remember your pro-pointer has 2 years warranty and if you tamper with it yourself you are at risk of losing that warranty, the guys that repair the pro-pointers can clearly see if its been tampered with.
Cheers
mrix
Sadly, my ProPointer was well beyond the two year warranty when I took matters into my own hands. The intermittent problem of the ProPointer sounding off without being anywhere near metal did commence whilst the warranty was still valid but when the problem went away, I thought that matters had been resolved.

It will be interesting to see how long I can get away without any further problems. I will, of course, be treating the little critter more than gently and am even considering placing it in a
"dry box" when not in use. I had never washed it under running water, used it for heavy digging, and thought that I had treated it reasonably well.

I am not knocking Garrett ( I still use a Garrett EuroAce ) but would be interested to learn what is going wrong. I had contemplated buying an alternative pointer but then decided to go for a repair because it presented the cheaper option. My ham handed attempt at putting the pcb back in place only broke the on/off switch but Tony Perez informed me that he gets other ProPointers that have been damaged by people trying to solder new switches into the pcb.

It is well advised, at the first signs of problems get the ProPointer back to your supplier. Or, if you are outside of the warranty, get someone who is adept at working with small electronic equipment to do the job for you. ::g

edzcuz

Post by edzcuz » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:50 pm

Bleach's info on this is very helpful as looking to buy 2nd hand one and useful to know in the future

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:29 pm

I have a Garrett ProPointer that I've replaced the ferrite coil and the plastic housing using another ProPointer's coil, so just a straight swap, as I wanted a cleaner housing. It seems to need to be recalibrated, because when I power it up it comes on as normal but won't detect anything metallic.

So I held in the little button on the board while powering it on using the main switch, as per bleach's suggestion. The led comes on, the vibrating motor comes on, and the speaker makes a continous tone. It seems to just continue to do this, and doesn't stop after 3-4secs ... or any amount of time (up to about 30secs or so where I stopped, as it was just draining the battery). Maybe I am doing an incorrect button press sequence?

I've checked the whole board under a microscope in case of any shorts or any other issues, but it's clean as a whistle. All solder joints are clean, the coil wires are correct (black wire to middle connection, red wires to the other two). No popped capacitors or any obvious things like that either. So that's why I believe the chip needs a reset or something. I also removed the red enamel about 3mm from the end of the red enamelled wires to expose the copper before soldering too.

Does anyone have any ideas what's wrong here please? Cheers.
Current setup:
XP Deus v2.0, MINELAB Equinox 800 v1.7.5, GARRETT Pro-Pointer
MD'ing since Sept '11

Looking for a friendly club in the Bristol and Somerset area? Contact us at:
www.wessexsearchers.club

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:12 pm

A simple thing you might try is swapping the two coil wires over, I can't remember whether it made a difference or not, I must've tried it sometime.
Propointers have some smd capacitors that may vary from one unit to another, I think each production batch is fine-tuned, possibly to match the varying coil characteristics. As a result, it just might be that one PCB doesn't match up with the other pointers coil. Just speculation, I've not done any experiments on this.

I've sent you a PM.
Last edited by Fusion on Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:48 am

Hmm sorry I replied to the pm before seeing your post here.

I haven't had time to look at it again but I'll try swapping those wires as I don't think I did that yet even though it probably should have been first thing to try. Haven't had an issue with using either one before in other PP's but you never know. Worth trying. The revisions of the boards were both the same model numbers, I did check them both over under a microscope and they looked identical, even down to the solder splatter patterns in the leftover flux, :)) but yes they could still have had slightly different components.

Removing a few smd capacitors is fiddly so I'l leave that as the last option, but I might try that at some point as I like to tinker. I guess I better go find my multimeter under all the dust!

Thanks for your help. ::g
Current setup:
MD'ing since Sept '11

www.wessexsearchers.club

pearcher68

Post by pearcher68 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:18 pm

My pointer went wrong after the warrenty so decided to have a go myself and found that a coil wire was broken so I re soldered and put shrink wrap on all three wire and then put it back in the body and you guessed it the switch came apart >:P because you have to depress it to get it back in the body ,so pulled it back out and took the switch apart and rebuilt it which im quite chuffed about as its made of about 5 bits and i had no idea where they went :D , then I put it back together and depressed the switch to get it back in the body ,the switch went in okay but the black wire broke off !!!! as the board and everything was back together I tried it and it worked fine even without the black wire connected ? so I left it and have now been using it for a further 2 years with no problems ,and I didn't reset it either x;
Colin
X-TERRA 705 This is my weapon of mass detection
7.5 and 18.75 kHz coils
Pro Pointer

roadwarriormax

Post by roadwarriormax » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:01 pm

http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/vi ... 10&t=88944" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ::g ::g :D
roman coins=79
roman brooches=12
rings=5
roman mounts=8
denarius=7
silver coins=87
you lucky,lucky :)

whites4900/d pro plus gb/max blackbox version
fisher f75SE+GSXR750 98 + rucksack = happy camper :)

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:13 am

Didn't get any reply after pm'ing Bleach so have ended up putting it back in it's original housing. I did check over the components on the board and removed and checked capacitors, etc, which took forever, but didn't manage to find the problem with the other one. Ah well thanks for the replies folks. I guess it will have to remain a mystery.
Current setup:
MD'ing since Sept '11

www.wessexsearchers.club

Jakeyboy07

Post by Jakeyboy07 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:04 pm

Christoph1945 wrote:
Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:41 pm
onthebeach wrote:Hi one question if anyone can help, how do you take a pro pointer apart?
A

Now left with a totally duff ProPointer I commenced looking round for a replacement, or possible repair. I stumbled upon Tony Perez of the Isle of White, who repairs metal detectors and Garrett Propointers. At the cost of £25.00, Tony replaced the on/off switch, double checked the operation of the pcb, and returned the little critter to me post paid. I now have a fully functioning Garrett ProPointer, minus the original fault that set me on this course of action.

I
Hi , do you have a contact for him just incase I need his services ?
Looking for the contact details of Tony Perez of the Isle of wight
James Jakeyboy Bond

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:26 pm

Hi James
This is a very old thread and i doubt folk will answer you
I'll leave it here though and edit your request a bit to show the name you are looking for
::g
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Return to “Garrett Pro Pointer, AT Pro-Pointer Forum”