705 GB and sensitivity

Only for the discussion of the Minelab X-TERRA range of metal detectors within this forum.
Batman

705 GB and sensitivity

Post by Batman » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:52 pm

Just a quickie to put to you 705 lads. I have been reading comments made on the Minelab Owners Forum and i am slightly confused. Do i need to reduce the sensitvity before i auto ground balance, at present i don't but i have read differing opinions on it.Thanks for any comments. ::g

Ravenrook

Re: 705 GB and sensitivity

Post by Ravenrook » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:15 pm

As far as I know; I only adjust the sensitivity (sens.) when I am in trashy areas (by dropping it down a couple of notches at a time until its quiet).
So, unless I walked onto a trashy area to start, when I am setting my 705 (which I haven't done yet) I wouldn't touch it and just Ground Balance as normal.

Not sure how they interact with each-other but you won't get as much out of your machine if you turn down your Sens.

I have recently been using my machine full Sens and in All Metal as much as possible, this gives extra depth, keeping the machine 'fully open' and running at its best/maximum. It is noisy at times so, then I usually switch to program 4.

Hope this helps,

Raven ::g
MineLab Xterra 750
Garrett pro pointer
Evolution Extreme Digging tool
Evolution Pro Cut Spade
Lot's and lot's of enthusiasm!

"Every Holes a Goal!!"

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:41 pm

Hi Raven, I too run mine in AM and as much sens. as possible but have read that on initial start up to reduce sens. before auto GB, this i don't do as the sens. is where it was set on my previous outing, i.e. generally around 25 give or take.So is this the right method or would it be better to reduce it first , ground balance then turn up sens. to an appropriate number?

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:34 pm

Thinking about it, the tracking feature,if that is being used will continuously set it up whilst on a high sensitivity so you can obviously set the gb yourself whilst on high sensitivity.

AllanNP

Post by AllanNP » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:47 pm

I think its a bit of a chicken and egg situation.
Have you got a copy of Randy Horton's eBook? He explains it much better than I can
You can get a free copy from the minelab site just go the the page for the 705 and there's a link at the bottom
http://www.minelab.com/eur/metal-detect ... -terra-705" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots of good stuff in there

Cheers
Allan P
CScope CS1MX , Whites Treasure Master

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:02 pm

Yes Allan i have a copy of the instruction manual and it makes no reference to it so i can only presume it doesn't really matter what the sensitivity is on when ground balancing, thanks anyway. ::g

Longhair

Post by Longhair » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:21 pm

Personally, I pump up the SENS while setting both the GB and the Noise Cancel Channel. The thinking is that I want it to be as sensitive as possible to aspects that can affect response.

Ponder this. If you have the SENS lowered, and then turn it up, you could cause the machine to respond to things that it previously hadn't seen, thus creating an unnecessary instability that will result in excessive falsing.
If you slow down, you'll achieve a more harmonious outcome.

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:20 pm

Makes sense, thanks Longhair ::g

Return to “Minelab X-TERRA Forum”