UPDATED - XP Mi6 review

Only for the discussion of the XP MI-6 Pinpointer
Oxgirl36

UPDATED - XP Mi6 review

Post by Oxgirl36 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:49 pm

Ok so I've had my pinpointer for a couple of weeks now and I am getting used to it. I've read a few reviews and watched some (very unscientific) comparison tests using air checks on sensitivity. They all make it clear that the biggest benefit is the ability to listen to it through your headphones if you are a Deus owner. But what else does it offer? I previously used a Garrett pro pointer (the carrot one) so I'm basing my assessment on how it compares to that one only.

Plus points:
1. It Has a lost probe mode - even when switched off.
2. The sound signals are much clearer, than say the Garrett, at telling you how near it is to the target. You can use the Deus screen too but you don't need to look as it is really clear just from the audio. I've found this to be really, really helpful to reduce the risk of scratching the find.
3. It doesn't interfere with the coil causing feedback because it has switched it off (obviously!!). No idea if it is better or worse for non Deus users but suspect no different to other pinpointers I.e. Bad!
4. The whole thing is sensitive, not just the tip so it increases the surface area you are using when you sweep the hole. Also reduces the need to have to keep repositioning the probe to keep the tip in contact with the hole walls.
5. The holster is really, really nice quality and lets you angle it to suit your own preferences. The hook on the back is great too as no belt removal required, although you can put it through your belt or use the clip instead if you prefer. And the holster has a Velcro strip to allow you to adjust the holster fit - presumably so you can add an after market protector to it.
6. 2 year guarantee.
7. It's rechargeable. I know others are too but it saves the environment/ your pocket versus the battery versions. And it has a long life between chargers so no worries there on long digs. The battery life indicator lets you know how long is left.
Negatives
1. You can't use the coil at the same time (unless you unpair it/ don't have a Deus) for those of you who like to use the coil and probe together.
2. It marks very easily. It really does need some protection if you hate your probe getting scratched.none are available yet.
3. Some people feel the button is awkward for right handed people. Personally I've not found this a problem.
4. It can be complicated if you want it to be, although you can keep it simple if you prefer.
5. Maximum sensitivity is (in my opinion) pretty much unusable as it just goes mad if you go near anything. Around 30-35 (maximum is 50) is all you need.
6. Sometimes it shrills when it switches on. And that can get very annoying as it is very loud and basically blasts your ears for a second. Do that a few times an hour and it can't be good for your hearing!!
7. There can sometimes be a short delay with the coil switching back on. I've only found this a couple of times but sure a future software upgrade will sort it. And it isn't really that bad anyway as you switch off and by the time you've slotted it into your bag/ holster the coil is going again.
8. It's expensive!!
9. If you do run out of battery in the field you are stuffed (unless you carry a recharger back up unit).

So that's my assessment so far. But I'm not as budget conscious as many other people! Only time will tell if the build quality keeps it working well after lots of use. =D>
Last edited by Oxgirl36 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 20 8=ypr

sanjuro

Re: XP Mi6

Post by sanjuro » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:54 pm

Does it really give a different tone for different metals ? your the first person to say this that i know of, does it give the same tones as your deus does ? like a Sunray probe does?

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:15 pm

No idea about a sunray probe. But it does do a deep grunt (similar to the coil) on iron from what I've experienced. Unless I'm using it wrong!! :-/ The tone goes higher (and gets louder) as you get nearer to the target but it seems to stay deeper for iron. Am I the only one who has noticed this?

I've removed that bit from my above assessment for now in case I have got it wrong. I'm going to do another test this weekend. I can really hear a difference between iron and everything else but maybe I am using it wrong and it's just further from the target? But I have used it for a few hours and it sounds different with iron. I'll check again and do some tests and get back to you.
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Fisher1266X

Post by Fisher1266X » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:32 pm

Great write-up Cath ::g

I've realised that when the MI-6 is on, the control unit shows the 1 to 4 programs that the probe uses. These are completely different to the 1 to 7 programs that the probe uses to switch on/off the LED/Vibrate/Audio/Déus etc.
To clarify; you can set-up program 1 with, say, the sensitivity at 30, the audio to pulse etc. You can then set program 2 with the sensitivity at 36 and pitch, program 3 with sensitivity set at 44 etc.
Once all 4 are set and saved all you have to do is toggle the programs by pressing the + or - button on the control unit ;)

If you switch off the LED (to save battery power), it doesn't flash at switch-on to indicate battery level (although this displayed on the control unit for Déus users) and you can't tell if the probe is "on" because there is no LED lit.

With regards to the button position; it makes sense to have the probe in your left hand (as I mentioned in my initial report) as you naturally use your right hand for holding the machine/trowel and holding handfuls of soil :D
Oddly enough, the probe has always been fixed to my left side x;

Looking forward to further tests soon!

XP Déus V5.2

If you don't hear it..... it's not there!

Spiker1968

Post by Spiker1968 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:39 pm

Sunray probe is basically a tiny coil with a switch in the coil cable so you can switch from your main coil to your sunray probe in a second, thus the discrimination built into your detector still works. The MI6 doesn't have any discrimination ability, don't know what you have been hearing but I haven't noticed it.
::g

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:54 pm

A tip to protect it from scratching, use some heat shrink, the stuff used for protecting joined soldered wiring, available from on line auction sites in large sizes to fit, also different colours

Used it on my Garrett probe and has kept it like new, used it over a dedicated protective cover to protect the cover from wearing through, so will do the same, you could double it up for even belts and braces protection

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

JBM

Post by JBM » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:03 am

Protective caps have appeared on USA e-bay, but they are not cheap.

Someone will soon do the same in the UK. ::g Jerry.

Stillburning

Post by Stillburning » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:58 am

Thanks for the review ::g
Fisher1266X wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:32 pm
Great write-up Cath ::g

I've realised that when the MI-6 is on, the control unit shows the 1 to 4 programs that the probe uses. These are completely different to the 1 to 7 programs that the probe uses to switch on/off the LED/Vibrate/Audio/Déus etc.
To clarify; you can set-up program 1 with, say, the sensitivity at 30, the audio to pulse etc. You can then set program 2 with the sensitivity at 36 and pitch, program 3 with sensitivity set at 44 etc.
Once all 4 are set and saved all you have to do is toggle the programs by pressing the + or - button on the control unit ;)
Thanks for that Fisher, I was wondering why it was showing programme 4 on the remote but was waiting for a wet non detecting day before investigating further!

I am very happy with the custom programme settings I have added but so far have only used it to winkle bits from the top couple of inches of loose soil on planted ground and would imagine that in other circumstances eg beach detecting would benefit from altering those settings.

I am using pulse rather than pitch and have the noticed that sometimes when coke is present it tends to pulse at the same rhythm like a ticking whether next to or a short distance away so I move on from those straight away now. (I know the Deus tones are telling me it is probably coke but I check out all the signals anyway as not digging).
I'm still burning you'll never put the spark out in my soul

JBM

Post by JBM » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:47 pm

I must give XP credit for being the first manufacturer for going wire free yet again.

Others will follow for sure as we advance further into the 21st century.

I can see the day coming when the owner will use their finger print to switch on XP products.

Its nice not annoy those nearby with a buzzing probe and perhaps attracting unneeded attention.

I wonder what next we will be offered?

Happy Hunting,

Jerry. ::g

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:32 pm

Well after 18 months continual use I’m just doing an update on this. It is still going strong and I’ve found the initial pairing issues aren’t there anymore ::g The rest is updated below...
Oxgirl36 wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:49 pm
Ok so I've had my pinpointer for a couple of weeks now and I am getting used to it. I've read a few reviews and watched some (very unscientific) comparison tests using air checks on sensitivity. They all make it clear that the biggest benefit is the ability to listen to it through your headphones if you are a Deus owner. But what else does it offer? I previously used a Garrett pro pointer (the carrot one) so I'm basing my assessment on how it compares to that one only.

Plus points:
1. It has a lost probe mode - even when switched off.
2. The sound signals are much clearer, than say the Garrett, at telling you how near it is to the target. You can use the Deus screen too but you don't need to look as it is really clear just from the audio. I've found this to be really, really helpful to reduce the risk of scratching the find.
3. It doesn't interfere with the coil causing feedback because it has switched it off (obviously!!). No idea if it is better or worse for non Deus users but suspect no different to other pinpointers I.e. Bad!
4. The whole thing is sensitive, not just the tip so it increases the surface area you are using when you sweep the hole. Also reduces the need to have to keep repositioning the probe to keep the tip in contact with the hole walls.
5. The holster is really, really nice quality and lets you angle it to suit your own preferences. The hook on the back is great too as no belt removal required, although you can put it through your belt or use the clip instead if you prefer. And the holster has a Velcro strip to allow you to adjust the holster fit - presumably so you can add an after market protector to it. The holster is machine washable and cleans up beautifully as a result. On the (very) negative side the velcro strip at the front has stretched so the pinpointer doesn’t stay as snuggly in it anymore. Very annoying!
6. 2 year guarantee.
7. It's rechargeable. I know others are too but it saves the environment/ your pocket versus the battery versions. And it has a long life between chargers so no worries there on long digs. The battery life indicator lets you know how long is left. The recharge still gives a very, very long life. I only need to recharge it every couple of months but then I don’t get out as much as some of you!
Negatives
1. You can't use the coil at the same time (unless you unpair it/ don't have a Deus) for those of you who like to use the coil and probe together.
2. It marks very easily. It really does need some protection if you hate your probe getting scratched.none are available yet.I gave mine a good wash for Christmas and actually it looks almost new. There are no speaker holes to hold dirt and so it is super easy to clean. There are no deep scratches at all and I’ve never used a protector on it as it really doesn’t need it.
3. Some people feel the button is awkward for right handed people. Personally I've not found this a problem. The button is just right sensitivity wise. You’d have to hold the button down on purpose to change programmes, unlike the Garrett which I found was too sensitive.
4. It can be complicated if you want it to be, although you can keep it simple if you prefer.
5. Maximum sensitivity is (in my opinion) pretty much unusable as it just goes mad if you go near anything. Around 30-35 (maximum is 50) is all you need. I’m using 40 now and find that perfect
6. Sometimes it shrills when it switches on. And that can get very annoying as it is very loud and basically blasts your ears for a second. Do that a few times an hour and it can't be good for your hearing!! No longer a problem from v4.1 software onwards
7. There can sometimes be a short delay with the coil switching back on. I've only found this a couple of times but sure a future software upgrade will sort it. And it isn't really that bad anyway as you switch off and by the time you've slotted it into your bag/ holster the coil is going again. Very rarely happens now ::g
8. It's expensive!!
9. If you do run out of battery in the field you are stuffed (unless you carry a recharger back up unit). Never happened - battery life is good

So that's my assessment so far. But I'm not as budget conscious as many other people! Only time will tell if the build quality keeps it working well after lots of use. =D>
Carpe vinum

skythepig

Re: UPDATED - XP Mi6 review

Post by skythepig » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:49 pm

Thanks great review Oxgirl36. I agree although expensive the Mi6 has been excellent. For me it just works with no problems so far.
Battery life is really good as it goes ages between recharging and I have found the wireless aspect really good with no negatives.
If you can afford to buy one with your Deus then I recommend it. ::g
XP Deus, a different ball game.
Equinox 800 still learning but getting there
Sovereign Elite
Bad Back and dodgy knees

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:52 pm

I've only had mine for 2 months but it's had a lot of regular use so far. Battery is still showing 2 out of 3 bars after about 1000 uses. This is with it paired but vibrate and led switched off. I'll re-charge it when it gets down to one bar to play safe. :D
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

bob79

Post by bob79 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:07 pm

Not as expensive as it was, Xp dropped the price by £40, on top of that I got mine in the Black Friday deals last year 15% off.

Bob ::g

Return to “XP MI-6 & MI4 Pinpointer Forum”