Somewhere down Digging Lane... My Roman Quest

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
Bargeman
Posts: 1679
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:25 pm
Location: Newbury
Has thanked: 603 times
Been thanked: 838 times
Contact:

Re: Somewhere down Digging Lane... My Roman Quest

Post by Bargeman » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:01 pm

Dig 16 tomorrow...


Out to Drayton, on the outer limits of Berkshire tomorrow, good Roman/Saxon area, it would be nice to find a nicely detailed roman coin, or anything Saxon ::g :D


BM [:)


Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

chip
Posts: 676
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:17 pm
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 247 times

Re: Somewhere down Digging Lane... My Roman Quest

Post by chip » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:17 pm

Unless I’m blind I can’t see any info on the fields available tomorrow, wether they are ploughed or pasture, any idea?
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

Bargeman
Posts: 1679
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:25 pm
Location: Newbury
Has thanked: 603 times
Been thanked: 838 times
Contact:

Re: Somewhere down Digging Lane... My Roman Quest

Post by Bargeman » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:21 pm

I think it is a surprise :D ::g


Should be fun ::g



BM [:)
Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

chip
Posts: 676
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:17 pm
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 247 times

Re: Somewhere down Digging Lane... My Roman Quest

Post by chip » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:22 pm

:D
Bargeman wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:21 pm
I think it is a surprise :D ::g


Should be fun ::g



BM [:)
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

chip
Posts: 676
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:17 pm
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 247 times

Re: Somewhere down Digging Lane... My Roman Quest

Post by chip » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:30 pm

Not found anything but buttons in weeks so here’s hoping it turns up some interesting finds. ::g
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

bob79
Posts: 1298
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:01 pm
Location: Oxon/Wilts border.
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 145 times

Re: Somewhere down Digging Lane... My Roman Quest

Post by bob79 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:10 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:01 pm
Dig 16 tomorrow...


Out to Drayton, on the outer limits of Berkshire tomorrow, good Roman/Saxon area, it would be nice to find a nicely detailed roman coin, or anything Saxon ::g :D


BM [:)
Only the outer limits of Berkshire since 1973 boundary changes BM, was born at home in the County of Berkshire, been in Oxfordshire since the boundary change, still say I'm Berkshire born, Berkshire bred, strong in the arm and thick in the head.

Bob ::g

bob79
Posts: 1298
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:01 pm
Location: Oxon/Wilts border.
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 145 times

Re: Somewhere down Digging Lane... My Roman Quest

Post by bob79 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:14 pm

bob79 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:10 pm
Bargeman wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:01 pm
Dig 16 tomorrow...


Out to Drayton, on the outer limits of Berkshire tomorrow, good Roman/Saxon area, it would be nice to find a nicely detailed roman coin, or anything Saxon ::g :D


BM [:)
Only the outer limits of Berkshire since 1973 boundary changes BM, was born at home in the County of Berkshire, been in Oxfordshire since the boundary change, still say I'm Berkshire born, Berkshire bred, strong in the arm and thick in the head.

Bob
Oops, got it wrong, think it's thick in the arm and strong in the head :-/

Bargeman
Posts: 1679
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:25 pm
Location: Newbury
Has thanked: 603 times
Been thanked: 838 times
Contact:

Re: Somewhere down Digging Lane... My Roman Quest

Post by Bargeman » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:11 pm

Dig 16 - Drayton...
Image Wow this field threw up some fantastic finds, and if the field prep was better, I am sure many more would have come out!
I saw a posy ring, a cut quarter saxon coin, a roman figurine, a saxon figurine, I also heard there were two roman silvers, and a few hammies also. ::g

I started with another small broken fibula, I waited all that time and then I get two in as many weeks :D ::g

Image

Image

Image

And a little later I had this small fastening

Image

Image

Image

Image



BM [:)
Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

bob79
Posts: 1298
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:01 pm
Location: Oxon/Wilts border.
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 145 times

Re: Somewhere down Digging Lane... My Roman Quest

Post by bob79 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:44 pm

Lets hope it's third time lucky next week Kevin and you get a full one with pin, sounds like a good dig today.

Bob ::g

User avatar
Steve_T
Posts: 1651
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:54 pm
Location: Wiltshire
Has thanked: 436 times
Been thanked: 818 times

Re: Somewhere down Digging Lane... My Roman Quest

Post by Steve_T » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:58 pm

Cracking photos ::g

Shame it's a part, but better than none

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

User avatar
alloverover
Posts: 10017
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:49 pm
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 443 times

Re: Somewhere down Digging Lane... My Roman Quest

Post by alloverover » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:26 pm

Colchester 2 piece for the brooch Bm, there like buses mate ::g

User avatar
fred
Posts: 6568
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Has thanked: 847 times
Been thanked: 2896 times

Re: Somewhere down Digging Lane... My Roman Quest

Post by fred » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:50 pm

Well done on yet another brooch, you must be getting bored of them now! :D The button looks Meieval or possibly only slightly later.
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

Bargeman
Posts: 1679
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:25 pm
Location: Newbury
Has thanked: 603 times
Been thanked: 838 times
Contact:

Re: Somewhere down Digging Lane... My Roman Quest

Post by Bargeman » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:04 pm

fred wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:50 pm
Well done on yet another brooch, you must be getting bored of them now! :D The button looks Meieval or possibly only slightly later.


Still looking for that elusive complete one Fred x; ::g




BM [:)
Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

chip
Posts: 676
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:17 pm
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 247 times

Re: Somewhere down Digging Lane... My Roman Quest

Post by chip » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:47 pm

I am quite surprised to hear your report of others good finds as I had a stinker, and everyone I spoke to apart from the organiser said they found nowt aswell.

I found buttons (nothing of note apart from a very crude looking one on reflection I should not have deposited in the bin at McDonald’s), a musket ball, lots of scrap lead, a nice buckle that looks much older than any of the other buckles I have found and what looks like a very small green copper flower.

To be fair I am pleased with the buckle, last week I was pleased with my only find of a ww2 Royal Marines button. Who would have thought I would be so easily pleased with buttons and buckles, when I started this hobby i had visions of finding gold and silver. :D

Are you going to lgd next week or lp with Mick?
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

bob79
Posts: 1298
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:01 pm
Location: Oxon/Wilts border.
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 145 times

Re: Somewhere down Digging Lane... My Roman Quest

Post by bob79 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:00 pm

Me Bargey and about 40 forum members are going to the Rodney Cooke memorial weekend rally near Cirencester, Chip.

Bob ::g

chip
Posts: 676
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:17 pm
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 247 times

Re: Somewhere down Digging Lane... My Roman Quest

Post by chip » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:14 pm

bob79 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:00 pm
Me Bargey and about 40 forum members are going to the Rodney Cooke memorial weekend rally near Cirencester, Chip.

Bob ::g
Well 40 of you going to Cirencester, with the numbers and the venue I expect nothing short of big things to be posted next week.

Good luck ::g
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

bob79
Posts: 1298
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:01 pm
Location: Oxon/Wilts border.
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 145 times

Re: Somewhere down Digging Lane... My Roman Quest

Post by bob79 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:22 pm

chip wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:14 pm
bob79 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:00 pm
Me Bargey and about 40 forum members are going to the Rodney Cooke memorial weekend rally near Cirencester, Chip.

Bob ::g
Well 40 of you going to Cirencester, with the numbers and the venue I expect nothing short of big things to be posted next week.

Good luck ::g
Best behaviour though Chip, got a few mods coming down to keep an eye on the rest of us x;

chip
Posts: 676
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:17 pm
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 247 times

Re: Somewhere down Digging Lane... My Roman Quest

Post by chip » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:31 pm

bob79 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:22 pm
chip wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:14 pm
bob79 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:00 pm
Me Bargey and about 40 forum members are going to the Rodney Cooke memorial weekend rally near Cirencester, Chip.

Bob ::g
Well 40 of you going to Cirencester, with the numbers and the venue I expect nothing short of big things to be posted next week.

Good luck ::g
Best behaviour though Chip, got a few mods coming down to keep an eye on the rest of us x;
That’s ok, I don’t think they could ban your cyberself for indiscretions committed in the real world.
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

Post Reply

Return to “Finds - Stories”